Title: Opto-Mechanical Engineer
Element: Wavefront Sensing and Control
Type: Full time
Location: Pasadena, CA (temporary remote work due to COVID-19)
This exciting job opportunity is with the Giant Magellan Telescope (GMT) project HQ located in Pasadena, California. The GMT is being developed by a group of leading university and research centers from across the globe. GMTO Corporation has been formed to design, construct and operate the GMT, which will be located in the Andean mountains at Las Campanas Peak in Chile. The GMT is the next generation astronomical observatory with 10 times the resolution of the Hubble Space Telescope. The project is entering the formal construction phase with scientific operations expected to begin in 2030.
BE A PART OF TRANSFORMING OUR UNDERSTANDING OF THE UNIVERSE
The successful candidate will be an employee of the GMTO Corporation and must be able to meet pre-employment requirements including any background and reference checks and the successful candidate must be a US citizen or eligible to work in the United States and at least 18 years of age. GMTO provides competitive salaries and a generous benefits package.
The GMT project is seeking an experienced Opto-Mechanical Engineer to design, analyze, integrate, and test opto-mechanical components of the GMT active and adaptive optics systems.
• Develop conceptual preliminary and final designs of wavefront sensors and metrology systems
• Analyze the structural performance of opto-mechanical designs
• Develop assembly/disassembly, operation, maintenance, and trouble-shooting procedures
• Participate in the procurement process of engineering services and fabrication of these systems, including identification of potential vendors/suppliers, preparation of technical specifications, participation in the selection process, and monitoring of work
• Lead a small team to integrate, align and test both small and large opto-mechanical subsystems
• Prepare and deliver presentations at technical reviews
• Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering
• Five years’ experience with design of complex opto-mechanical systems and structural analysis techniques to optimize opto-mechanical designs
• Demonstrated proficiency with SolidWorks CAD software
Please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If your skills and experience appear to be a match or if we need additional information to make a decision, we will contact you. If we do not see a suitable match between your qualifications and the position, we will keep your information on file in the event future positions become available that are more suitable to your qualifications.
GMTO is an equal employment opportunity employer