Title: DevOps Network Engineer
Element: Software and Controls
Type: Full time
Location: Pasadena, CA or Chile (La Serena or Santiago)
*Temporary remote work due to COVID-19
This exciting job opportunity is with the Giant Magellan Telescope (GMT) project HQ located in Pasadena, California. The GMT is being developed by a group of leading university and research centers from across the globe. GMTO Corporation has been formed to design, construct and operate the GMT, which will be located in the Andean mountains at Las Campanas Peak in Chile. The GMT is the next generation astronomical observatory with 10 times the resolution of the Hubble Space Telescope. The project is entering the formal construction phase with scientific operations expected to begin in 2030.
BE A PART OF TRANSFORMING OUR UNDERSTANDING OF THE UNIVERSE
The successful candidate will be an employee of the GMTO Corporation and must be able to meet pre-employment requirements including any background and reference checks and the successful candidate must be a US citizen or eligible to work in the United States and at least 18 years of age. GMTO provides competitive salaries and a generous benefits package.
The Giant Magellan Telescope’s (GMT) Software and Controls team is pursuing a proactive and highly skilled DevOps Network Engineer to work on the control networks and computer platforms.
Reporting to the Software and Controls Manager (based in Pasadena, CA), the DevOps Network Engineer will be responsible for specifying, designing, and building (1) the fiber optics control and safety networks and, (2) other software and hardware infrastructure required for the development and operations of the Observatory Control System (OCS) in all GMT sites (Pasadena, CA; La Serena, Chile and Santiago, Chile).
This position will work closely with all GMT subsystem teams, software engineers and all control network users and stakeholders to provide a reliable, efficient, cost-effective, and low-maintenance communications infrastructure able to support low-latency and high-bandwidth communications for the OCS.
In order to be able to recommend and implement innovative solutions, the DevOps Network Engineer is expected to keep up-to-date with the latest technologies and trends in fiber optics, high-performance computing, and low-latency communications, to perform detailed trade-studies and analyses on available and new technologies and to prototype critical design elements. This position will report to the Software and Controls Manager.
• Create and review requirements for the OCS networks and DevOps platforms at all sites
• Detailed design of the OCS networks and DevOps platforms at all sites
• Collaborate with all the GMT subsystems to define OCS network interfaces
• Work with external contractors in OCS networks and DevOps aspects
• Deploy and support functional control and safety networks at all sites
• Deploy and support functional platforms for OCS development and operation
• Generate detailed design documentation and schematics
• Perform benchmarking tests and trade studies on critical hardware, software, and networking infrastructure to support design decisions and show compliance to applicable standards and requirements
• Debug and solve OCS network and DevOps platform related issues
• Oversee the contract, commissioning, and installation of the OCS network infrastructure
• Perform acceptance tests and generate test reports to validate the system after installation
• Develop a plan for transition to operations, including all necessary documentation and training for efficient operation and troubleshooting of the OCS networks
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• Bachelor’s in Computer Science or Electronics (or similar degree)
• 5+ year experience with network design and computer administration in telescopes or large science projects
• Fiber optics design, contract, installation, and maintenance
• Strong knowledge of the modern network protocols and network/computer equipment
• System and network administration experience on Linux, Windows and MacOS
• Experience with high-performance computing and low-latency communications
• Experience with high-bandwidth, high-speed storage networks and data archiving systems
• Experience with distributed computing platforms and control systems
• Experience with Ethernet-based Industrial fieldbuses (EtherCAT, Ethernet/IP, etc)
• Experience with server hardware (x86 processor architecture, memory, BIOS)
• Experience with types of storage drives (S-ATA, SAS, NVMe, etc.)
• Experience supporting a team of software developers
• Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Willingness and ability to travel to foreign and domestic vendor, partner, and observatory locations as the need arises
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• Cisco or equivalent network equipment certifications
• Experience with safety-rated infrastructure for industrial environments
• Experience working with cloud computing infrastructure, such as AWS
• Experience with Agile development and continuous integration
Please send your CV and a Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If your skills and experience appear to be a match or if we need additional information to make a decision, we will contact you. If we do not see a suitable match between your qualifications and the position, we will keep your information on file in the event future positions become available that are more suitable to your qualifications.
GMTO is an equal employment opportunity employer