Title: Senior Project Controls Specialist
Element: Project Business Office
Manager: Project Business Manager
Type: Full time
Location: Pasadena, CA (temporary remote work due to COVID-19)
This exciting job opportunity is with the Giant Magellan Telescope (GMT) project HQ located in Pasadena, California. The GMT is being developed by a group of leading university and research centers from across the globe. GMTO Corporation has been formed to design, construct and operate the GMT, which will be located in the Andean mountains at Las Campanas Peak in Chile. The GMT is the next generation astronomical observatory with 10 times the resolution of the Hubble Space Telescope. The project is entering the formal construction phase with scientific operations expected to begin in 2030.
BE A PART OF TRANSFORMING OUR UNDERSTANDING OF THE UNIVERSE
The successful candidate will be an employee of the GMTO Corporation and must be able to meet pre-employment requirements including any background and reference checks and the successful candidate must be a US citizen or eligible to work in the United States and at least 18 years of age. GMTO provides competitive salaries and a generous benefits package.
The Senior Project Controls Specialist (PCS) is part of the GMTO Project Business Office and will report to the Project Business Manager.
This position is responsible for applying extensive and diverse knowledge of project controls and project business management principles and practices relevant to managing large science & engineering projects. The Senior PCS will support the project in meeting technical, cost, and schedule objectives. A critical requirement for this position is to maintain policies and procedures of best business practices and to ensure internal compliance to these procedures.
The PCS should have in-depth experience and knowledge of National Science Foundation (NSF) Large Facilities Earned Value Management requirements or other federal EVMS requirements. In addition, they must have experience in establishing and maintaining the project cost and schedule baseline.
The successful candidate will be autonomous, self-driven, self-motivated, and a team player capable of working inside and outside the team, project, activity, or function.
• Support project management with project controls functions: planning, tracking, analysis, and reporting for multiple needs of varying complexity and requirements.
• Assist in developing and maintaining the Performance Measurement Baseline (PMB).
• Research and implement best business practices.
• Assist Project Business Manager (PBM) in effectively implementing the use of Earned Value Management (EVM).
• Ensure integration between the schedule and cost data.
• Prepare and implement baseline change requests.
• Contribute to the development and maintenance of basis of estimates.
• Track and maintain project budget in the project management system of record.
• Apply analysis to understand, forecast and communicate cost and schedule trends, performance analysis and status, and provide recommendations for corrective actions for all cost and schedule variances against plan.
• Administer and maintain the Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) and WBS Dictionary.
• Provide analytical assessments, including lifecycle cost analysis, estimates to complete forecasts, and root cause analysis.
• Prepare reports using business system reporting tools (P6, Cobra, Dynamics SL, ReqLogic, Stratustime).
• Prepare portions of project review materials; prepare analytical graphs and charts in written and verbal reports for presentation to management and customers, including government and private customers.
• Prepare “what if” scenarios to assess the impact of changes to the approved baseline and recommend options to project management.
• Follow up with Control Account Managers (CAMs) and Element Managers to ensure timely inputs for variance analysis.
• Interface and coordinate project business data and reporting needs with accounting, contracts, and other corporate areas.
• Collaborate with Element Managers and CAMs on monthly reporting.
• Assist PBM in implementing organizational policies and procedures throughout the project
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• Minimum of 10 years of experience in project controls
• Bachelor’s degree in Business, Economics, Finance, Engineering, or related fields
• Working knowledge of P6, Deltek Cobra, and MS Excel
• Advanced knowledge of EVMS best business practices, policies and procedures
• Advanced knowledge of National Science Foundation EVMS standards and practices
• Intermediate knowledge of accounting and procurement systems
• Capable of exercising sound judgement and discretion
• Comfortable working outside her/his comfort zone
• Able to thrive in a collaborative team environment
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
• MBA or Master’s in Business, Finance, or an engineering discipline
• Extensive experience with cost/schedule baseline change control processes
• Previous experience working in a highly technical environment with engineers and scientists on large engineering and construction projects
• Project Management Professional (PMP)
Please send your CV and a Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If your skills and experience appear to be a match or if we need additional information to make a decision, we will contact you. If we do not see a suitable match between your qualifications and the position, we will keep your information on file in the event future positions become available that are more suitable to your qualifications.
GMTO is an equal employment opportunity employer