Request for Proposals for Architecture & Engineering Services for Design of the Giant Magellan Telescope (GMT) Enclosure
Architecture & Engineering Scope
GMTO is seeking to contract with a highly qualified Architecture and Engineering (A&E) firm that has the technical experience and technical personnel depth to deliver a superior design for the GMT Enclosure within the available budget and the required schedule. The design and construction documents prepared by the selected A&E firm will support procurement of the construction services needed to build the GMTO Enclosure, at Las Campanas, Chile, with predictable quality, cost, and schedule.
The “Architecture & Engineering (A&E) Request for Proposal” (RFP) scope of services includes:
- Completing the design and engineering of the Giant Magellan Telescope (GMT) upper and lower enclosure, which currently includes the following:
- Enclosure Foundation design
- Telescope Foundation, Pier, and Seismic Isolation System design
- Upper enclosure design
- Lower enclosure design
- Summit Utility Tunnel design
- Summit Utility Building design
- Support Site 1 Utility Yard design
- Answering and resolving construction contractor Requests for Information (RFIs), and approving submittals during procurement and construction activities.
Approved bidders will receive the necessary detailed design information. Concepts, sketches, schematics, renderings, and scales shown reflect evolving bridging documents and are for reference only. A partial collection of the reference design information will be contained within the formal Request for Proposal. All remaining elements of the reference design and the bridging documents will be provided to the successful bidder at the time of award.
Suppliers should be experienced in the design and/or fabrication of large kinetic structures. Prior experience with astronomical telescope enclosures is beneficial, but not required.
Potential secondary suppliers can express their interest in the project in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. GMTO will not be directly involved in making teaming or partnering arrangements, but can share your request to be considered as a sub-tier supplier.
The Interested Bidders List as of 2-8-2021 is provided here: A-E Bidders List-1
RFP Process and Timing
There are several stages to the RFP. All dates are preliminary and are subject to change.
- September 15, 2020: Expression of Interest form and information packet available
- October 27, 2020 at 5 pm (PDT): Expression of Interest form return deadline
- November 18, 2020: Due date for draft Statement of Work (SOW) comments.
- December 10, 2020: Pre-Bid Conference
- March, 2021: Request for Proposals released to qualified bidders
- March, 2021: Notice of Intention to Bid due
- May, 2021: Proposals due
Source selection will occur approximately two months after the proposal submission deadline.
Pre-Bid Conference Agenda is provided here:
Pre-Bid Conference Presentations are provided here:
Bidder Questions and Answers
Bidder questions and answers, updated 10-28-20, are provided here:
For more information, or to express your interest in being considered as a potential primary or secondary supplier, please email email@example.com with the subject line “GMTO Architecture & Engineering RFP”.
This presentation provides more details about the GMT Enclosure Design project. View PDF.
Frequently asked questions about the GMT project are available here.